Reading List 2012-

Wednesday 23 May 2012

Let your fingers do the talking...Finger prayers


It just so happened that I found myself at the group for young mums that is run by my Church, St.Mary's. Don't ask why I was there but there I was sitting on a bean bag tapping some wooden sticks together in time to the praise music as one of my little ones danced around shouting 'Praise God' and 'We love you Jesus'. Fully Charismatic (don't tell Granny).
I have 'popped'1 into this group a couple of times recently to meet the current Mrs. Gibbons and have always been aware of the warmth and genuineness of the group. It is not like other mother n tots I've been to. These have been  similar to going to a cock fight in a warehouse just of the A11 (don't ask!) Everyone sat in a circle and looked in on the corralled children as they took part in some kind of Darwinian selection process: biggest, fastest, strongest.
I digress. You see, the last time I went I picked up a piece of paper about praying with your kids. Interesting I thought. This could be useful, knowing, as I do, that our prayer time with the kids usually consists of a quick ritualistic one liner before meals with me shouting at some one to put their fork down/stop singing/take their elbows of the table/pass the port! Our pre-meal thanks have become a bit like 'on your marks, get set, go!' Something that just has to been done before we start, a bit like putting your teeth in before you kiss.
Still digressing. Look I'm coming into land now, this 'interesting' piece of paper contained an idea called 'Finger Prayers'. It immediately appealed to me as a man who enjoys routine, systems and order. I present it now for your perusal and hopefully more.


1 Popped. When ever you find yourself with adults around children I find that we all start to use  'pop' instead of things like 'put' or 'stick' or even 'slip' !?.e.g. 'pop that in there' or 'lets just pop this dummy in'. I picked up this viral habit when we were in hospital for two weeks with the premature kid Andrew. Also got a bad dose of Norovirus but that's another story (or claim). All the staff said 'pop' like it was going out of fashion. Even the doctors. Are they trained to say this? Does research show that patients/fretful parents feel comforted and and reassured by things being 'popped'. 'I'm just going to pop this camera up your arse Mr Gibbons.' 

1 comment:

  1. Bit silly to comment on one's own blog but I wanted to clarify that the using the 'middle' finger for government etc is in no way a subversive political statement as it has been suggested (first against the wall!). it is only because the middle finger is big and strong.

    ReplyDelete